Michigan Metrology offers training workshops and online classes in all aspects of surface texture and tribology. Dr. Don Cohen, one of the country's foremost experts in surface roughness, leads regular, two-day Surface Finish/Friction/Wear short courses. These metrology workshops focus on surface texture analysis and how surface texture relates to component function. The training is designed for scientists, engineers and technicians working in the fields of automotive, aerospace, materials, polymers, and others.
Dr. Cohen also leads online training sessions that allow a company to reach employees across multiple facilities, without the costs of travel. Online classes can be hosted using Michigan Metrology's service or through your company's internal systems. Contact us for more information.
The class material covers the following related topics:
• Intro to surface texture …why is it important?
• Instruments for surface roughness measurement (stylus, optical, AFM…)
• Filtering of surface texture measurements (2RC, Gaussian…)
• Parameters for surface texture analysis (Sa, Spk, Ssc, etc.)
• Wear (scoring, scuffing, galling, wear volume, wear depth…)
• Friction (how does surface texture relate to friction?)
• Sealing (gaskets, O-rings, lip seals, piston rings…)
• Surface energy/surface texture
• Correlation between non-contact and contacting systems
• Data analysis (T-Test, F-Test, principle components, regression…)
• Specifying surface texture (symbology)
• “Surface Metrology Strategy” (project approach).
All presentation material are provided to the attendees following the measurement class. Depending on the time and interest, certain presentation modules may be eliminated or substituted.
Request more information, or call 866-953-5030 to register.
About the Instructor
In 1994, Dr. Cohen established Michigan Metrology to help engineers and scientists solve problems related to “Squeaks, leaks, friction, wear, appearance, adhesion and other issues”, using 3D Surface MicroTexture Measurement and Analysis.
Dr. Cohen is a past Chairman of the STLE-Detroit section and has been active with the ASME B46.1 committee on surface texture since 1988, having served as Chair from 2005-2011. Dr. Cohen is also a Subject Matter Expert for the ISO surface metrology activities.
Dr. Cohen has an undergraduate degree in Physics from the University of Michigan, Dearborn, and graduate degrees in Physics and Optical Sciences from the University of Arizona. Early in his career, Dr. Cohen worked with IBM on optical disk drive development. He later joined WYKO Corporation as Product Manger and later became Vice President, leading the development of 3D surface texture metrology instrumentation.
Dr. Cohen has developed this class over the past 20 years having presented the material at numerous client locations as part of his training and consulting activities. Typically once a year the class is offered to a general audience in the Livonia, MI area.
Email us, or call 866-953-5030 for more information on the April 2020 Class.
Classes are also available on-site and customized to your needs. Contact us for more information.